B.S. Electrical Engineering, New Mexico State University, 1989
Minors in Math, Economics, New Mexico State University, 1989
Master's Degree Candidate, Journalism and Media Communication, Colorado State University, Expected Fall 2021
Instructor. Department of Journalism and Technical Communication, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado. 2002-present.
- Instructor for JTC 372 (Web Design and Production). Junior-level course in web design and production. Currently teaching 6-7 sections per year. Course delivery in person, on-line and hybrid.
Professional musician. 1999-present.
- Thousands of dates at clubs, festivals, private engagements, principally in the Mountain West region. See
- Label recording on Rounder Records (Open Road - Cold Wind).
- Appearance on Garrison Keillor's A Prairie Home Companion.
Contractor. Wingate Design, Fort Collins, Colorado. Contract web site development. April 1999 to present.
- Web site design and maintenance for various clients, including music industry, restaurant/bar, air quality management, electric utility industry and art.
- Development and presentation of Basics of HTML/CSS in Short Course form.
Online Production Coordinator. Student Media, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado. August 1998 to April 1999.
- Advisory role in student newspaper web site
- Server management, including NT server, on-line database applications and application software for page production. Responsible for implementation of Cold Fusion-based on-line news publishing system.
Web Developer. CyberCrop. Fort Collins, Colorado. September 2000 to April 2001. Worked in web development environment with Graphic Artist, Java developers, to design and construct web site for agribusiness startup. UNIX environment.
Computer Lab Supervisor. Department of Journalism and Technical Communication, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado. August 1996 to May 1998.
- Design and maintenance of department web page.
- Installation, maintenance, and troubleshooting of department software and hardware.
- Classroom instruction and assistance.
Public Utility Engineering Specialist. New Mexico Public Utility Commission, Santa Fe, New Mexico. January 1993 to June 1996.
- Expert written and verbal testimony in Commission proceedings, including CCNs, rate cases, complaints. Field inspections and audits.
Electrical Engineer. Southwestern Public Service Company, Roswell, New Mexico. January 1989 to January 1993.
- Negotiation and preparation of service contracts with industrial customers.
- Planning and design of electric distribution construction projects.
- Classroom instructor for Lineman Apprentice School program.
Programming Assistant. various positions while attending college. July 1986 to December 1989.
- Programming in FORTRAN, BASIC, and dBase II+. Concentration was on statistical analysis and data tracking. Designed, implemented, and provided training for several database applications
- Responsive design techniques
- PHP and other server side scripting languages
- Basic Apache administration with .htaccess
- Visual design for web and print
- Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator
- Image optimization with third party tools, modern formats (e.g., WebP)
- Advanced search engine optimization
- Video preparation/editing with Camtasia, Adobe Premiere
- Online mapping
- Infographic preparation
- Instruction in academic environment for 20+ years
- Excellent written and spoken communications skills
- Technical writing and editing
- Public speaking, including expert testimony in Administrative Law setting
- Technical background as registered professional engineer
- Experience in structured development environment